Wednesday, September 19, 2012

I'm (Not) a crappy mom, just ask my girls



This photo has been making it's way around facebook, I've seen it posted by several different pages.  I read it and thought it was great.  The mommy wars are getting ridiculous, it was nice to see something celebrating our differences instead of throwing them in every ones faces.

But that's not what everyone thought.  There were some women who decided to take this photo and use it against other moms who they disagree with.  One particular discussion happened on Life With Levi's facebook page over the choice to circumcise.  I didn't get to read the actual posts, but I did see some of the aftermath on other posts.  It just seems so ridiculous to me that moms are attacking each other like this.  Being a mom is hard work, why make it harder for others by saying they're horrible parents because they chose to do things differently?  I mean, I know I was the perfect parent...before I had kids...and then I was given a violent reality check when my first daughter was born.  So, to help out and not let the few "perfect" parents out there win, I'm going to let you all know just how crappy of a mom I am!

  • I tell my daughters I love them on a daily basis, sometimes multiple times a day
  • I let my two year old eat fast food sometimes
  • We switched my oldest to forward facing in the car when she turned one and will most likely do the same with her little sister
  • I pierced my older daughter's ears when she was 11 months old
  • I don't make them wash their hands as often as I probably should
  • I make sure my two year old brushes her teeth before bed every night
  • I only breastfed my oldest for 4 weeks, then she was on formula
  • My youngest is 9 months old and still breastfed
  • I use disposable diapers
  • I read books to them both several times a day
  • I let them watch age appropriate TV
  • I swear in front of them both and my two year old has repeated me a few times
  • Sometimes I yell at them when I'm angry
  • I only spank when it's absolutely necessary
  • I don't "baby talk" to either of them
  • I let my two year old have soda sometimes
  • She also drinks way too much juice
  • I just started letting my 9 month old cry it out at bed time
  • I threaten time out/spanking more times than I've actually done it
  • I've bribed my oldest with ice cream/cookies
  • I love them unconditionally and they love me back

I could probably go on, but I think that gets the point across.  I'm not perfect, I know this, but I'm doing the best I know how and if you don't agree with my choices, that's fine, but calling me (or anyone) a bad parent because of that is just plain childish and wrong. 

We have to realize that we're all raising the next generation together and if we want to make this world a better place, we need to teach that to our children.  I don't want my girls growing up thinking they're better or worse than everyone else just because of how I raised them.  I want them to treat everyone with respect and not judge people based on their beliefs.  I can only hope that others treat them the same way.

So to all you other crappy moms out there...keep it up!  :)


2 comments:

  1. I threaten way more than I follow through, too. If I had a nickle for every time I've counted to 3...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If I start counting, she just continues with "...4...5..." :)

      Delete