Tuesday, August 28, 2012

Shepherd's Pie

I got this recipe from Rachel Ray's 30 minute meals.  It looked delicious and the best part, it seemed easy.  I've made it enough times now, that I don't even really need the recipe, though I do have it out just in case. It's a big hit in our house, even picky little Munchkin will eat (most of) it. 

I was uploading some pictures off our camera that Hubby took while camping this last weekend and found the ones I had taken awhile back with the intention of blogging the recipe, but never got around to.  Now that I have a free minute (and a minute is probably all I have) I decided to do it.

Start by boiling potatoes in salted water until tender, about 10 to 12 minutes. Drain potatoes and place them in a bowl. Combine the sour cream, egg yolk and cream and add to potatoes and mash until potatoes are almost smooth. 

While potatoes are cooking, preheat a large skillet over medium high heat. Add oil to the pan and add in ground beef or lamb. (Traditionally, Shepherd's Pie is made with lamb, but I always use beef because it's what we have).  Season the meat with salt and pepper. Brown and crumble meat for 3 or 4 minutes. Add chopped carrot and onion to the meat.


I didn't have an onion this time, so that's why it's not in there.


Cook veggies with meat 5 minutes, stirring frequently.

 
In a second small skillet over medium heat cook butter and flour together 2 minutes. Whisk in beef broth and Worcestershire sauce. Thicken gravy 1 minute. Add gravy to meat and vegetables. Stir in peas.

                                       
 
Preheat your broiler to high. Fill a small rectangular casserole with meat and vegetable mixture. I use an 8x8 square dish and it always works out just right.  Spoon potatoes over meat evenly.


 


Top potatoes with paprika and broil 6 to 8 inches from the heat until potatoes are evenly browned.

I didn't get a picture before everyone started dishing up, but I'm planning on making this for dinner tonight so hopefully I can remember to take a picture of it before it's all gone! Hope you enjoy!




Ingredients


  • 2 pounds potatoes, any kind, peeled and cubed
  • 2 tablespoons sour cream
  • 1 large egg yolk
  • 1/2 cup cream
  • Salt and freshly ground black pepper
  • 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil, 1 turn of the pan
  • 1 3/4 pounds ground beef or ground lamb
  • 1 carrot, peeled and chopped
  • 1 onion, chopped
  • 2 tablespoons butter
  • 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
  • 1 cup beef stock or broth
  • 2 teaspoons Worcestershire
  • 1/2 cup frozen peas
  • 1 teaspoon paprika

No comments:

Post a Comment