Monday, July 9, 2012

Blueberry Pound Cake

We have a ton of blueberries that we picked from a local farm and I've been doing different things to use them up...smoothies, frozen yogurt (kind of) and Munchkins favorite, blueberry pancakes!!  But I found a recipe on pinterest and just had to try it...blueberry pound cake.  Now, I love me some pound cake so adding blueberries seemed like a no-brainer, but I've never made pound cake so I was a little hesitant.

But, nothing ventured, nothing gained, so I made sure we had what I needed and baked two loaves yesterday (technically only one was a loaf though, I had to bake the other half in an 8x8 pan and it turned out just fine).

Blueberry Pound Cake

  • 3 1/4 cups flour (plus 2 tablespoons for tossing blueberries in)
  • 1 tablespoon coarse salt
  • 3 sticks ( 1 1/2 cups) butter, softened, plus more for greasing pans
  • 1/2 cup sour cream
  • 2 cups sugar
  • 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
  • 9 eggs
  • 2 cups blueberries


    1. Preheat oven to 325 degrees. Butter two 5x9-inch loaf pans. (or in my case one 5x9 and one 8x8)
    2. Combine 3 1/4 cups flour and salt in a bowl.
    3. Cream butter, sour cream, and sugar with a mixer on high speed until pale and fluffy, about 6-8 minutes. Scrape down sides of bowl. Add vanilla and mix.
    4. Beat eggs, and add to mixer bowl in small additions, mixing thoroughly after each and scraping down sides. Add flour mixture in small additions, mixing until just incorporated.
    5. Toss blueberries in remaining 2 tablespoons flour; fold into batter. Divide batter between pans. Tap on counter to distribute; smooth tops.
    6. Bake until a tester inserted into center of each cake comes out clean, about 65 minutes. I started the timer at 45 min since I had the different shaped pan. The 8x8 went for about 55 min and the 5x9 went for the full 65.
    7. Let cool in pans on a wire rack for 30 minutes. Remove from pans, and let cool completely on wire rack.
    We had a BBQ that we went to and I took this loaf, it was a huge hit!  Plus everyone loved that it was made from scratch with fresh picked blueberries.



    Mmm...just look at that berry goodness!

    No comments:

    Post a Comment