Wednesday, July 25, 2012

Easy Meatloaf

Last night I was going to make Shepard's Pie for dinner, a favorite around here, but after I had cut up the potatoes and the beef was almost defrosted, I realized that I didn't have everything I needed.  So, I remembered I had a meat loaf recipe on my computer.  I went and checked the ingredients and saw that I had almost everything except a sweet potato, but I thought I could just use a green pepper instead and it turned out great!

First I chopped and partially cooked the green pepper in a saute pan with a little olive oil.  Set that aside when it's just starting to get a little translucent look to it.


Then mix together all ingredients (except green pepper) in a bowl until combined.

This was before I added the bread crumbs
Once every thing is incorporated, gently stir in the green peppers.  Place mixture into a greased loaf pan or for individual servings (which freeze nicely) you can use a muffin tin (greased as well).  Mix together ketchup and BBQ sauce and spread on top of the meatloaf.



Bake in a 375 degree preheated oven for 50-60 min (only about 40 if you used a muffin tin) make sure the meat in the middle is at least 160 degrees.  Take out and let rest before slicing.  I served it with garlic mashed potatoes and corn.

It was a big hit and I forgot to get a picture before everyone served themselves...






Here's the original recipe (which calls for a sweet potato, but feel free to try something else like I did this time)



Easy Meatloaf
1 lb ground beef
1 small sweet potato (peeled and chopped up small)
1 tbsp Worcestershire sauce
1/4 tsp Italian seasoning
2 cloves garlic, minced
1 egg
1/2 tsp dry mustard
1/2 to 3/4 c. bread crumbs (start with less, but if the mixture is too wet, add more)
1/2 tsp paprika
1/4 c. shredded cheddar
salt and pepper
ketchup and BBQ sauce mixed together for the top of meatloaf

Preheat oven to 375*.  Grease  loaf pan or muffin tins (I lined the muffin pan with tin foil and then sprayed with PAM).  In a saucepan, boil salted water, cook the sweet potato until partially cooked, about 3 or 4 min. Drain, set aside.  Mix all other ingredients in a bowl, stir in sweet potato.  Place into loaf pan or divide between muffin tins (I used a jumbo tin and made 6, but they weren't mounded up very high).  Mix together ketchup and BBQ sauce and spread on top of each meatloaf.  Bake until cooked through and brown on top, about 55 min.  (40 for muffins)

No comments:

Post a Comment